Research and Markets (http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/v2nrpf/patent_filing_and) has announced the addition of the “Patent Filing & Annuity Fee Management Benchmarks” report to their offering.
The 67-page study looks closely at how major corporations and research-oriented universities organize and make decisions about the payment and management of filing and annuity fees for their patent portfolios.
The study helps its readers to answer questions such as:
- How much are patent holders paying in filing and annuity fees?
- What percentage of their patents do they abandon?
- If they stop paying annuity fees when do they generally do so? How do they make these decisions?
- How do they organize the logistics of filing and annuity fee payments?
- What kind of software, web-based applications or consultancies do they use?
- How much manpower do they expend in keeping up with filing and annuity fees?
- What percentage of their patents are provisional?
- What percentage of filing and annuity fee payments are made in a grace period?
Just a few of the study’s many findings are that:
- About 63% of the filing and annuity fee payments in 2014 for the organizations in the sample were made to the US patent & Trademark Office
- The organizations in the sample spent a mean of 220 staff man-labor hours in tracking and paying filing and annuity fees in the past year.
- Private companies with less than $1 billion in annual revenues spent a mean $1,396,098.00 on patent filing and annuity fees in 2014.
- A mean of 14.1% and a median of 10% of patents that are abandoned are eliminated at the 3.5 year payment threshold for U.S. patents.
Data is presented separately for large corporations (more than $1 billion in annual revenues), smaller companies (less than $1 billion) and for higher education institutions. Data is also broken out by size of patent portfolio, number of patents awarded and other criteria.
Sources / Contributors
- Brewer Science, Inc.
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Invention Science Fund
- Medicago Inc.
- Mylan, Inc.
- North Carolina A&T State University
- PolyOne Corporation
- Ryerson University
- Sun Chemical Corporation
- The Rockefeller University
- Timoney Technology Ltd
- University of Connecticut
- University of North Florida
- Utah Valley University
For more information visit http://www.researchandmarkets.com/research/v2nrpf/patent_filing_and
- Personal Investing Ideas & Strategies